Heat 1 – Friday September 18, 2015
Heat 2 – Saturday September 19, 2015
Calling all Prince Edward Island cooks and chefs to come compete for the title of Prince Edward Island Potato Seafood Chowder Champion! The PEI Potato Seafood Chowder Championship is presented by the PEI Potato Board and will will promise a good time for all competitors, as well as promote the many ways to enjoy potatoes, oysters, mussels and other Island shellfish and of course, to have a good time!
2014 Title Champion
2nd Place ($250) – Mitchell Jackson, Claddagh Oyster House/Olde Dublin Pub
3rd Place ($100) – Darius Martin, Sutherland’s Restaurant
Photographed by Sandpiper Studios.
- Must be a cook and/or chef of a PEI restaurant or catering business that provides a food service to the public
- Must hold a Red Seal Certification or equivalent or be actively working as a Chef or Sous Chef
- Must be 18 years or older
- Competition will take place on main festival stage
- Registration based on first come; first serve
- There will be 2 heats of the competition
- Winner receives an automatic by to compete in the Atlantic Superstore International Chowder Championship
- Space is limited; Late registration only considered based on space availability
- Must supply a short biography for use in publicity programs and by announcers during the competition at time of registration
- Must supply recipes at the time of registration. The PEI International Shellfish Festival reserved the right to use the Winning recipe in festival promotional activities and will acknowledge chefs accordingly
- All competitors must arrive to the Festival tent and check in at the Competition trailer. Please allow enough time to reheat your chowder so that it is ready at start time
- Registration must be received by July 15, 2015. Register Here.
What is provided?
- A cooking surface to reheat your chowder
- Cups and spoons for sampling to the public
- A soup bowl to serve the judges
- There will be no access to full kitchen facilities
What to bring?
- Competitors are allowed to utilize their own equipment during preparation
- Chefs will use their own pot and ladel for serving
- Final ingredients can be added on site
- Assistants to help set up and serve are welcome
- Must be presentable keeping with the occasion and representing themselves, the province, and any sponsoring organization to the best advantage
- Proper practices to ensure food safety in the preparation, storage and transportation of your chowder must be observed.
- Five to seven (5 – 7) litres of chowder must be prepared in advance and ready to reheat on the spot for judging and sampling
- Must contain either PEI Mussels and/or Oysters along with any other shellfish or seafood from Prince Edward Island listed below
- The main protein component or the registrant’s chowder must contain ONLY Prince Edward Island shellfish and seafood from the following list: Prince Edward Island flounder, haddock, cod, hake, bar clams, soft shell clams, oysters, cultivated mussels, quahogs, lobster, scallops, halibut, salmon, rock crab and snow crab. No other seafood or shellfish protein components are permitted. This includes items such as canned or bottles clam broth.
- Must be a traditional cream-based chowder and feature Canadian dairy products from Canadian cows.
- Potatoes must be Prince Edward Island Potatoes
- Presentation materials and/or products (i.e. Garnishes, etc.) are permitted (see scoring for points on presentation)
- There will be 5 judges
- Each judge shall gave considerable experience and/or knowledge or food preparation and service
- Each competitor of the PEI Potato Seafood Chowder will be judged on the following criteria:
Overall Appeal /10
Total Score: 50 points
- Each judge will score the competitors’ chowder based on the above criteria
- The scores will be tallied and the chowder with the highest total score will be announced by the Master of Ceremonies as the winner of the PEI Potato Seafood Chowder Championship
- Winner must be in attendance to receive their award
- Winner must proceed to compete in the prestigious Atlantic Superstore International Chowder Competition on Sunday September 20, 2015
- 1st Place: $1,000 Cash and automatic by into Atlantic Superstore International Chowder Championship
- 2nd Place: $250 Cash
- 3rd Place: $100 Cash
- Right to use the PEI Potato Seafood Chowder Championship Seal on menus and other promotions as they relate to the winner’s business
For more information please call 1 866 955 2003 or email us firstname.lastname@example.org