Restaurants Canada will be presenting the Shellfish Excellence Award at the Prince Edward Island International Shellfish Festival.
The award recognizes a restaurateur in Prince Edward Island for its exceptional service and promotion of local seafood. The winner shows superior shellfish quality standards, offers a variety of local shellfish and promotes PEI shellfish to its community and customers. In 2016, Phyllis Carr of Carr’s Oyster Bar took home the award for her commitment to quality, innovation and authenticity.
Applications must be received by September 1, 2017 and will be evaluated by a panel of judges selected by Restaurants Canada. Applicants must be food service operator in Prince Edward Island, champions of local seafood promotion and initiatives and offer an extensive offering of local seafood on its menu.
- Must be a foodservice operator in Prince Edward Island, Canada.
- Serves local seafood with superior quality standards
- Champions local seafood initiatives in its restaurant and community
- Offers an extensive assortment of local seafood.
**Award will be selected by a panel of judges selected by Restaurants Canada.**
What does the Winner get?
- Featured article in the 2018 issue of “MENU Magazine”, (Readership of 66,000). More information on MENU: www.menumag.ca
- Feature Blog post on Restaurant Canada’s website
- The winning restaurant will receive a $500 cheque and plaque presented by Restaurants Canada CEO at the PEI International Shellfish Festival Main Stage on Sunday, September 17
- Use of Award winning seal which they can brand on their menu’s and marketing collateral.
About Restaurants Canada
P.E.I.’s restaurant industry generates more than $270 million in economic activity, representing 4.4% of GDP. With 5,600 jobs, foodservice is the province’s third-largest employer and provides more first-time jobs than any other industry.
Restaurants Canada is a growing community of 30,000 foodservice businesses, including restaurants, bars, caterers, institutions and suppliers. We connect our members from coast to coast, through services, research and advocacy for a strong and vibrant restaurant industry. Canada’s restaurant industry directly employs 1.2 million Canadians, is the number one source of first jobs, and serves 18 million customers every day.
2017 WINNER – New Glasgow Lobster Suppers!
2016 WINNER – Carr’s Oyster Bar – Phyllis Carr
- Carr’s has operated as a full service restaurant in Stanley Bridge, PE for 17 years
- Carr’s serves local oysters (our own), mussels, quahaugs, clams, lobster, scallops and other seafood in season. Carr’s also operates a wholesale/retail outlet in Stanley Bridge which has been open since the early 1970s
- Carr’s takes part in various local festivals and events highlighting seafood and the shellfish industry. As well, Phyllis Carr and her staff are involved in educating talks for tourists about the shellfish industry, and in particular oysters.
- Phyllis Carr and staff have at various times held awards for Oyster Shucking including best times and best plate in PEI, Canada and Internationally
- Carr’s was awarded the Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year Award for both Kensington and PEI
- Phyllis Carr was awarded the Culinary Pearl Award for Love Your Local People’s Choice at the Kensington Chamber Awards Gala
New in 2016, the PEI International Shellfish Festival Restaurants Canada will be presenting The Restaurants Canada Shellfish Excellence Award. A food service operator in Prince Edward Island will be recognized for their exceptional promotion of local seafood. The restaurant who demonstrates superior shellfish quality standards, offers an assortment of local shellfish and promotes PEI shellfish choices to its community and customers will be selected by Restaurants Canada.