- Open to all Canadian and International residents
- Competition will consist of 24 participants
- Competition will take place on main festival stage
- Contestants will open and present 12 oysters on the half shell
Selection of applicants to compete is at the discretion of the Competition Committee.
REGISTRATION IS FULL!
Date/Time: Saturday, September 15, 2018, 6:45PM
What is provided ?
- Each contestant will receive 14 oysters of their choice, in which they will select their 12 competition oysters
- A platter of coarse salt to present the 12 shucked oysters
What to bring?
- Contestants must supply handwear, shucking knives, cutting board, and any other related equipment
- Contestants may wear finger stalls or gloves
- Contestants may use a towel to hold oysters in place
- Contestants may carry one back-up shucking knife
- All equipment must be approved by the judges
- Must be presentable keeping with the occasion and representing themselves, the province, and any sponsoring organization to the best advantage
- At the discretion of the judges and timekeepers
- If Contestant does not comply with the rules of the contest
- If Contestant distracts another competitor by vocal or physical interference during the competition
- If Contestant is deemed to have committed a flagrant and/or unseemly impropriety during the competition
- There will be 3 judges
- Each shall have considerable experience and/or knowledge of the half shell oyster service
- Each contestant will have a timekeeper and back-up timekeeper
- Contestants will be provided with 14 choice PEI oysters and must open and present 12 oysters
- Contestants will poise his/her shucking knife at head height to indicate readiness
- At signal of Master of Ceremonies, all timekeepers simultaneously start their watches and contestants begin to shuck
- Contestants must tap the table or raise both hands overhead and step back from the shucking table when shucking is complete and oysters are presented to his/her satisfaction
- The timekeeper will immediately stop the watch
- Contestants may not touch tray of oysters after he/she has signaled completion
To be determined by the 3 judges
The following conditions render an oyster not presentable and are subject to the following penalties:
- Presented less than 12 opened oysters on the completed platter. Penalty Time: 30 seconds/oyster
- Not presented upright or meat out of shell. Penalty Time: 10 seconds/oyster
- Presented on flat shell. Penalty Time: 10 seconds/oyster
- Presented with blood on oyster meat. Penalty Time: 30 seconds/oyster
- Presented with a broken (in two pieces) undershell. Penalty Time: 10 seconds/oyster
- Presented with shell, grit, mud or other extraneous material. Penalty Time: 2 seconds/oyster
- Presented with meat cut or mangled. Penalty Time: 2 seconds/oyster
- Oyster is completely severed from the shell. Penalty Time: 3 seconds/oyster *If more than 6 oysters are penalized for this reason, penalty time increases to 10 seconds/oyster)
- Judges will provide the tally each contestants overall penalty scores
- Penalties will be added to the shucking time for each contestant to determine actual shucking time
- Overall score determined by a combination of actual shucking time, shucked appearance, presence of shell, grit, broken shell cup, meat cut etc.
- The winner is that contestant who has the lowest total seconds score and has not been disqualified
- Master of Ceremonies will announce the results of the competition on main stage
- Master of Ceremonies will announce the results of the competition on main stage Sunday, September 16th.
- 1st Place: $2,000
- 2nd Place: $500
- 3rd Place: $250
- Cleanest Plate: $100
- Right to use the 2018 Raspberry Point International Oyster Shucking Championship seal for promotions purposes until September 2018.
- The winner will be profiled on www.peishellfish.com including a link to the winner’s restaurant or catering service website.
- Winner’s picture and name will be used for promotion in 2019 marketing materials and festival brochure under the direction of the Festival Marketing Team.
- Included in all media releases and media relations in regards to the Raspberry Point Oyster Shucking Competition
- Interview as defending champion with all media present at the 2019 Shellfish Festival