The Junior Chef Challenge is a live cooking challenge at the Prince Edward Island International Shellfish Festival. This exciting competition will be hosted by celebrity chef Michael Smith. The winning junior chef will receive $1,000 courtesy of Dairy Farmers of Canada. Six Junior Chefs will prepare a shellfish dish using PEI shellfish and at least one dairy product plus a surprise fresh ingredient from Chef Michael Smith’s farm in front of a live audience and a panel of three qualified judges.
What we look for in selecting competitors
- Must be between 9 and 15 years of age
- Must love cooking and be comfortable cooking with shellfish
- Must be outgoing and confident
- Must be comfortable cooking in front of a live audience
About the Challenge
- There will be six competitors chosen through a video application process. The six Junior Chefs must prepare one shellfish dish which includes at least one dairy product and a surprise fresh ingredient from Chef Michael’s farm. The recipe must include a minimum of one core PEI Shellfish product. Core PEI Shellfish products include: Lobster, Mussels, Oysters and Clams (Soft Shell, Hard Shell, and Bar Clams)
- The competition takes place on the Kitchen Stadium Stage in the Main Festival Tent at the Prince Edward Island International Shellfish Festival
- The competition has one heat which will be held Sunday, September 22, 2019.
Competition Preparation and Requirements
- Each competitor will come prepared with ingredients of their choice – this must include a minimum of one Dairy Product.
- Shellfish will be provided at the competition by the Festival.
- Competitors will be given a surprise fresh ingredient from Chef Michael’s farm which they must use in their dish
- All ingredients must be brought in their original form – with nothing precut or pre-prepared at home
- Each junior chef will have an award-winning chef who will act as their Sous Chef and assist with their cooking needs throughout the duration of the competition
- Competitors will be given 45 minutes to prepare one shellfish dish which includes PEI Shellfish, a minimum of one dairy product, and the ingredient from Chef Michael’s farm
- Chef work stations consist of 2 work tables and 2 induction burners. The following equipment will be provided: food processors, blenders, stand mixers, and hand mixers. Please be aware that there is no access to ovens.
- All additional cooking equipment must be brought by the competitor including knives, pots/pans, cutting boards, spoons, forks, etc.
- Competitors must bring four (4) presentation plates for serving to the competition judges
- Competitors are required to prepare 4 servings: 3 to official judges and 1 presentation plate
- Judging criteria will be based on the following:
- Overall Taste – 25 points
- Shellfish Usage – 5 points
- Dairy Usage – 5 points
- Presentation – 10 points
- Menu – 5 Points
- Detailed Description / name of dish
- Originality / Creativity
A menu must be submitted to Frankie Molyneaux by no later than August 30 – each menu will be available for judges during the competition.
Each Junior Chef will be competing for the grand prize of $1,000 sponsored by Dairy Farmers of Canada. Each Junior Chef will receive free admission to Sunday September 22, 2019 for themselves and three guests.
Please contact Frankie Molyneaux with any questions about the competition.