Cheer on your favourite female competitors as they vie for a chance to hold the title of Ladies Fastest Shucking Champion. This is a cash prize in memory of Marlene Dowdle.
- Must apply under PEI Shiny Oyster Shucking Championship (for PEI Residents only) or Raspberry Point International Oyster Shucking Championship (individuals who reside outside of PEI)
- Spaces are limited
- Competition will take place on main festival stage during the allotted time for PEI Shiny Oyster Shucking Championship and Raspberry Point International Oyster Shucking Championship
- Contestants will open and present 12 PEI oysters on the half shell
- Female Winner receives $1,000 cash prize
Shiny Sea PEI Oyster Shucking Championship (for PEI Residents only)
Raspberry Point International Oyster Shucking Championship (individuals who reside outside of PEI)
What is provided?
- Each contestant will receive 14 oysters from which they will select their 12 competition oysters.
- A platter of coarse salt
What to bring?
- Contestants must supply handwear, shucking knives, cutting board, and any other related equipment required
- Contestants may wear finger stalls or gloves
- Contestants may use a towel to hold oysters in place
- Contestants may carry one back-up shucking knife
- All equipment must be approved by the judges
- Must be presentable keeping with the occasion and representing themselves, the province, and any sponsoring organization to the best advantage
- At the discretion of the judges and timekeepers
- If Contestant does not comply with the rules of the contest
- If Contestant distracts another competitor by vocal or physical interference during the competition
- If Contestant is deemed to have committed a flagrant and/or unseemly impropriety during the competition
- There will be 3 judges
- Each shall have considerable experience and/or knowledge of the half shell oyster service
- Each contestant will have a timekeeper and back-up timekeeper
- Contestants will be provided with 14 choice PEI oysters and must open and present 12 oysters
- Contestants will poise his/her shucking knife at head height to indicate readiness
- At signal of Master of Ceremonies, all timekeepers simultaneously start their watches and contestants begin to shuck
- Contestants must tap the table or raise both hands overhead and step back from the shucking table when shucking is complete and oysters are presented to his/her satisfaction
- The timekeeper will immediately stop the watch
- Contestants may not touch tray of oysters after he/she has signaled completion
To be determined by the 3 judges
The following conditions render an oyster not presentable and are subject to the following penalties:
- Presented less than 12 opened oysters on the completed platter. Penalty Time: 30 seconds/oyster
- Not presented upright or meat out of shell. Penalty Time: 10 seconds/oyster
- Presented on flat shell. Penalty Time: 10 seconds/oyster
- Presented with blood on oyster meat. Penalty Time: 30 seconds/oyster
- Presented with a broken (in two pieces) undershell. Penalty Time: 10 seconds/oyster
- Presented with shell, grit, mud or other extraneous material. Penalty Time: 2 seconds/oyster
- Presented with meat cut or mangled. Penalty Time: 2 seconds/oyster
- Oyster is completely severed from the shell. Penalty Time: 3 seconds/oyster *If more than 6 oysters are penalized for this reason, penalty time increases to 10 seconds/oyster)
- Judges of the Ladies Fastest Shucking Championship will provide the tally of each contestants overall penalty scores
- Penalties will be added to the shucking time for each contestant of the Ladies Fastest Shucking Championship to determine actual shucking time
- Overall score determined by a combination of actual shucking time, shucked appearance, presence of shell, grit, broken shell cup, meat cut etc.
- The winner of the Ladies Fastest Shucking Championship is the contestant who has the lowest total seconds score and has not been disqualified.
- Master of Ceremonies will announce the results from both the Shiny Sea PEI Oyster Shucking Championship and the Raspberry Point International Oyster Shucking Championship on main stage Saturday, September 16th awarding the Ladies Fastest Shucking Champion overall.
- Ladies Fastest Shucking Champion: $1,000
(Please Note: There is only one (1) cash prize to be awarded from the combined results of the Shiny Sea PEI Oyster Shucking Championship and the Raspberry Point International Oyster Shucking Championship.)