The Junior Chef Challenge is a live cooking challenge at the Prince Edward Island International Shellfish Festival. This exciting competition will be hosted by celebrity Chef Corbin Tomaszeski. The winning junior chef will receive $1,000. Six Junior Chefs will prepare a shellfish dish using PEI shellfish in front of a live audience and a panel of three qualified judges.
What we look for in selecting competitors
- Must be between 15 and 18 years of age
- Must love cooking and be comfortable cooking with shellfish
- Must be outgoing and confident
- Must be comfortable cooking in front of a live audience
About the Challenge
- There will be six competitors chosen through an application process. The six Junior Chefs must prepare one shellfish dish. The recipe must include a minimum of one core PEI Shellfish product. Core PEI Shellfish products include: Lobster, Mussels, Oysters and Clams (Soft Shell, Hard Shell, and Bar Clams)
- The competition takes place on the Kitchen Stadium Stage in the Main Festival Tent at the Prince Edward Island International Shellfish Festival
- The competition has one heat which will be held Sunday, September 17, 2023.
Competition Preparation and Requirements
- Each competitor will come prepared with ingredients of their choice. Competitors will be reimbursed for their ingredients purchased.
- Shellfish will be provided at the competition by the Festival.
- All ingredients must be brought in their original form – with nothing precut or pre-prepared at home
- Each junior chef will have an award-winning chef who will act as their Sous Chef and assist with their cooking needs throughout the duration of the competition
- Competitors will be given 45 minutes to prepare one shellfish dish which includes PEI Shellfish
- Chef work stations consist of 2 work tables and 2 induction burners. The following equipment will be provided: food processors, blenders, stand mixers, and hand mixers. Please be aware that there is no access to ovens.
- All additional cooking equipment must be brought by the competitor including knives, pots/pans, cutting boards, spoons, forks, etc.
- Competitors must bring four (4) presentation plates for serving to the competition judges
- Competitors are required to prepare 4 servings: 3 to official judges and 1 presentation plate
- Judging criteria will be based on the following:
- Overall Taste – 25 points
- PEI Shellfish Usage – 5 points
- Presentation – 10 points
- Creativity / Originality – 5 Points
- A menu must be submitted to Kelli Corcoran by no later than August 30 – each menu will be available for judges during the competition.
Each Junior Chef will be competing for the grand prize of $1,000. Each Junior Chef will receive free admission to Sunday, September 18, 2022 for themselves and three guests.
Please contact Kelli Corcoran with any questions about the competition.