Charlottetown, PE, July 5, 2023 – The PEI International Shellfish Festival, renowned for celebrating its world-famous shellfish, proudly announces the esteemed lineup of talented chefs set to compete in its most prestigious culinary competition, the Garland Canada International Chef Challenge.
In front of a captivated live audience, talented chefs go head to head in a thrilling showdown, racing against the clock with a mere forty-five minutes to create a PEI shellfish dish that will be evaluated by esteemed judges based on presentation, taste and menu. This year’s competition promises to be the most captivating and intense showdown yet, featuring an exceptional group of chef competitors who will vie for the coveted title of champion.
Chefs competing for the $10,000 cash prize are:
- Marc Lepine, Chef and Owner, Atelier Restaurant; Ottawa, Ontario
- Shai-ann Tyson, Executive Sous Chef, Summit Golf & Country Club; Vaughn, Ontario
- Chris Irving, International Private Chef; Whitehorse, Yukon
- Deseree Lo, Chef Consultant; Vancouver, British Columbia
- O’Shay Lolley, Private Chef; New Castle, Delaware
- Kyle Puddester, Chef and Owner, Fork; Mobile, Newfoundland
- Michael Hauschild, Founder and Personal Chef, InHaus Catering; Ottawa, Ontario
- Leslie Flynn, Executive Chef, Merchantman Seafood House & Oyster Bar; Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
- Salvatore Seminerio, Line Cook, MYSA Nordic Spa; St Peters, Prince Edward Island
- Nao Akutagawa, Chef de Partie, Quetzal Toronto; Toronto, Ontario
- Phil Nguyen, Chef de Cuisine, Amano Trattoria; Toronto, Ontario
- Vish Mayekar, Head Chef, Caffe La Tana & Pepino’s Spaghetti House; Vancouver, British Columbia
The Junior Chef Challenge competition returns for competitors between 15 and 18 years of age. The festival is accepting applications now for those who love to cook and are comfortable cooking with shellfish, are outgoing and confident to compete in front of a live audience. The deadline for applications is August 9, 2023.
Other exciting competitions include:
- Irish Point Oysters Shucking Championship, September 15th and Raspberry Point International Oyster Shucking Championship, September 16th
- Mott’s Clamato National Best Caesar in Town, September 15th
- Tie One On Mussel Industry Competition, September 16th
- PEI Potato Chowder Championship, September 16th and 17th
Early bird pricing is available until July 31, 2023, or while supplies last. Tickets prices are $10 per Friday and Saturday afternoon only pass, $40 per Friday and Saturday all day pass, $10 per Sunday all day pass and $70 for the weekend pass. Tickets are selling fast. Shellfish bucks can be pre-purchased online now and used through tap at all vendors.
Join the conversation online #peishellfishfest | www.peishellfish.com
“We are thrilled to reveal the impressive lineup of chef competitors for this year’s PEI International Shellfish Festival,” said Liam Dolan, Chair of the Prince Edward Island International Shellfish Festival. “These selected chefs were handpicked from a pool of nominees for their exceptional culinary talents, and we have no doubt that their culinary artistry will impress our audience and judges.”
ACOA is proud to continue its support for the PEI International Shellfish Festival, a key event in the Island’s summer tourism season, and an opportunity to showcase our world-renowned shellfish industry. Having grown up in PEI, I appreciate the living it provides for those involved in the industry, and the economic value it brings to the whole Island,” said Heath MacDonald, Member of Parliament for Malpeque”
“PEI’s International Shellfish Festival brings together the freshest shellfish, top culinary talent and East Coast entertainment in one memorable weekend that Islanders and visitors look forward to each year,” said Honourable Cory Deagle, Minister of Fisheries, Tourism, Sport and Culture. “As we continue to build on our province as a four-season destination, the PEI International Shellfish Festival will be an anchor of fall tourism. I look forward to celebrating the very best of what PEI has to offer with the world.”
“The City is proud to once again partner with the PEI International Shellfish Festival in this one-of-a-kind culinary experience,” said Charlottetown Mayor Philip Brown. “It really is the perfect way to “shellebrate” Island culture! Truly, this shoulder-season festival has grown to become one of Charlottetown’s signature tourism events. It allows us to display our world-class hospitality and plays a key role in driving economic, social, and cultural benefits into the fall.”
“The PEI International Shellfish Festival is a September staple in Prince Edward Island that celebrates the very best in culinary and the journey our products take from land and sea to table,” said Aidan Northcott, Marketing Coordinator, Dairy Farmers of PEI. “Dairy Farmers of PEI has been a proud supporter of this great celebration for many years; we’re excited to expand this partnership over the next two years. Don’t forget to pass the butter!”
– 30 –
Backgrounder: The Prince Edward Island International Shellfish Festival is brought to you by the PEI Aquaculture Alliance and the PEI Shellfish Association. The Prince Edward Island International Shellfish Festival takes place in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island at the Charlottetown Event Grounds on September 14th to 17th, 2023.
The event will feature a variety of celebrity and local chefs, oyster shuckers, fishermen, junior chefs and bartenders competing for over $22,000 in cash prizes. Festival-goers will experience the largest shellfish celebration in the smallest Canadian Province, with 3 days jam-packed with live competitions, kitchen parties, celebrity chef culinary demonstrations and indulge in the world’s best shellfish.
Schedule of Events: https://peishellfish.com/schedule-events/
Online Media Kit: https://peishellfish.com/online-media-kit/