If you think you are the best, challenge yourself against the best in the industry in the art of tying buoys and socks!
The event will see individuals compete against each other to determine the best! All ropes, buoys and socks will be provided. Off-Island competitors are also encouraged to participate. The competition is open to 20 individual participants (maximum of three per growing operation).
Tie One On Mussel Competition Contest Rules & Registration
- To start with my hands on the rail and start only when told to go.
- To tie the socks and buoys at a spacing that will be determined by random at the start of the competition.
- To tie the socks to the line with a minimum of one clove hitch, tight with no more than a 6 inch tail on the top of the sock. NOTE: Other knots may be added but not substituted for the clove hitch.
- That I will not drop the sock and weight over the side of the boat during the competition. (Competitors will be subject to point deductions if this does occur.)
- To throw my hands in the air once I have finished. (Clock will stop once competitor has their hands in the air.)
- To be judged based on time, spacing and accuracy.
- To absolve the PEI International Shellfish Festival, its sponsors, organizers, volunteers and hosts of any liability arising for any damage or injury that may occur.
- Use of images and/or video and contestants names become the property of the PEI Aquaculture Alliance and may be used for promotional purposes or other means as they choose.
- To abide by the decision of the judges and take such decision as final.
- To compete in a friendly manner that displays good sportsmanship.
Rules are subject to change the morning of the event.
- 1st Place: $1,500
- 2nd Place: $750
- 3rd Place: $500